Sunday, November 09, 2008

Love

Perhaps it's old age or just a response to the 24/7 nastiness we had to endure these past months, but I find myself becoming more and more sentimental. A week or two ago we had the primary program in sacrament meeting. This is always a tearful experience for me because the kids are so beautiful. But what really hit me was an interchange I saw between one of the adult primary teachers and her husband as their daughter stood at the podium to do her part of the program. While the little girl read her scripture, the teacher kept looking at her husband in the pew. Both were smiling as only a proud parent can smile. But it was the obvious love they had for each other that moved me to tears. I reflected on the fact that nothing in this world is more important than relationships. We are so blessed to have our hope in Christ with the promise of eternal families.

Friday I had to go to Redmond Oregon to give a speech. For convenience, I decided to take the early morning shuttle from Oak Harbor to Seattle. On the way, the shuttle stopped and picked up an elderly woman who was traveling alone. I watched as she and her husband got out of the car and walked to the trunk to retrieve her luggage. Once she had her bags, they leaned in close to one another for a kiss, then a long hug. Before parting, I saw this woman place her hand on her husband's cheek and smile. When she was seated in the shuttle she looked out the window to where her husband still stood, watching her. Before reentering the car, he blew her a kiss. It was a tender moment. Once again I found myself reflecting on the significance of relationships.

When Alan and Kristina were dating, I happened to be watching them talking on our patio at our Davis home. I was approaching the patio door and could see them through the glass. Just as I reached the door, I saw Alan reach out and push a strand of Kristina's hair out of her eyes that the wind had blown askew. It was done without conscious thought, but it was an intimate and caring gesture. I thought, "That is a man in love." I had to turn away for the tears in my eyes.

I have seen the same tenderness between Anna and Jonathan in unguarded moments and it warms my heart.

Cathy and I have been married for more than 33 years. Hardly a day has gone bye that we haven't said, "I love you," to each other. Whenever I see her unexpectedly, such as in a chance meeting at the store or elsewhere, my tummy still gets butterflies. Just the thought of being with her forever makes me misty eyed. The love I feel for our children and grandchildren is just as intense.

I can't help but think that those who have learned that to love and to be loved is the most important thing in the world have really found the pearl of great price.

5 comments:

BanAnna said...

Great post! Our RS lesson this week was on Joseph's letters to Emma. His words of love and concern for her and their childern were so beautiful and tender.

Melanie said...

Beautiful post, thank you for sharing!! how grateful are we of the knowledge that the love and relationships go on forever.

Anonymous said...

Without repeating what the gals said, I feel the same way. Touching on Anna's topic, we re-read the letters to Emma for FHE last night, and I too was touched by his love for her, and vice versa. I almost envied his writings and wished that I could even touch on the beauty of how he articulates his feelings so well. I too have watched older couples, and I must say it is heart warming to watch them interact. An older gentleman struggled to get out of his car, and then went to the trunk, got out his wife's walker, and then proceeded to go to her door and help her out. He gentle lifted her to her walker and then patiently walked at her side as she shuffled. My first thought was "gee" I don't want to get old. Then I started to think about the inevitability of the ageing process, and realized very abruptly that it wouldn't be so bad since Anna would be with me. I drew an involuntary smile and beamed as they walked by me... I had waited at the store so I could open the door for them.

Buppa H said...

Yea, getting old doesn't have to be all bad, except for the inevitable parting it portends. Whatever one's age, it's nice to see love grow.

stina said...

Thanks for this. You and mom are a great example!