
Mom and I hired University Landscaping to install sprinklers in front and back. Because of the rains, the company hasn't been able to do anything for almost two weeks, but they did send someone to mark the lawn with spray paint for the trenching. So, we have been expecting the work to start any day. Well, on Saturday, this fellow came to the door and said, in very broken English, "I start dig Monday." I said, "Ok."
Monday's here and the fellow arrived as promised. When I went out to meet him, he said,"Need shovel." I thought, you've got to be kidding! They send a guy out to trench the lawn by hand and they don't even give the guy any tools? What kind of operation is this? Nevertheless, I went in search of a shovel while scratching my head the whole time. When I returned and handed the fellow the shovel, he said he didn't know how deep to dig. By this time alarm bells are ringing. I asked, "Who hired you?" It took awhile to breach the langauge barrier, but it turned out no one hired him! He was just passing on Saturday, saw the lines on the lawn and thought I was doing the work myself. So, he offered his services in hopes of a little pay.
When I finally understood what had happened, I started laughing and couldn't stop. But I felt bad for the poor guy. I gave him some money and laughed my way back into the house. All this took place about 5 minutes before I was to do a radio interview from home. I was still laughing when I picked up the phone, a little concerned I would start chuckling on the air. But the solemnity of the moment took over and I was able to quash the giggles.

1 comment:
That is hilarious! I am glad that you were able to sort the whole thing out. Gotta give the guy credit for taking the initiative, though. I wonder what would have happened if he had actually shown up with a shovel and started digging?
Post a Comment