Saturday, May 21, 2011

Wildlife

Last May, the bald eagles across the street hatched a chick.  The whole neighborhood watched with interest as the eagles fed and pampered the little guy.  But soon after he appeared, he disappeared.  We think he fell from the nest because he liked to jump up and down on the edge of the nest, instead of staying inside the nest.  This year, the eagles had another chick and he is doing the same thing as the other; standing on the edge of the nest and flapping featherless wings.  I hope he stays put so we can watch him grow. 

We have a spotting telescope trained on the nest so we get a clear view of the daily routines.  We have been watching the eagles rebuild their nest and sit on the egg for weeks.  Now we get to watch the feeding.  I wish we had a webcam to show what we are seeing.  It's been fun.


This morning I had an interesting experience.  About 7:30am I was looking out the window and saw a beautiful deer on the back deck, at ground level.  She stood for a long time then slowly wandered down to the pond for a drink and then off to the vacant lot next door.  Just then, I saw some movement out of the corner of my eye, also on the back deck.  I was amazed to see a sea otter running by.  He ran straight to the waterfall and followed it down to the pond where he jumped in and swam around for a little bit as if he had done it a hundred times before.  Then he jumped out of the pond and started making his way toward the beach.  Cute as heck, but I couldn't believe my eyes.  I'm surprised we still have fish in the pond.  

1 comment:

BanAnna said...

A sea otter!!! That's amazing!
It sounds like he is using your waterfall and pond like his own personal water park.

I hope you consider installing a motion sensitive surveillance camera to catch the little guy on film :-)